Information for Demi Pairs:Do you:
- Want to study English abroad.
- Love working with and being around children.
- Want to combine travel, working and studying within a safe environment.
- Imagine yourself having days off on an Australian beach or beside the pool, making new lifelong friends from other cultures and having new and amazing experiences daily.
- Enjoy regular social gatherings with other Au Pair/Demi pairs in the placement coordinator.
- Want to feel secure in that Au Pair Network Australia is always here whatever your concerns through out the duration of your placement.
- Lifelong friends from other cultures and having new and amazing experiences daily.
Demi Pair Duties and Pay
A Demi Pair typically assists the family 15 hours a week outside of their allocated study hours. (With at least one full day off)
In return your host family will provide a room and full board (three meals a day) 7 days a week.
Duties may include light housework, some cooking and childcare.
Being that “extra pair of hands” is what it is all about.
Extra hours may be agreed upon with your individual family, however you can expect to receive pocket money of A$12/hour for every hour you help beyond the required 15 hours each week.
You must provide
- A fully completed Demi Pair application form.
- A current police clearance or certificate from your home country.
- You need to be eligible for an Australian Student Visa, please visit http://www.immi.gov.au/students or working holiday visa http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/417.aspx
- A completed medical form if arriving in Australia on a working holiday visa.
- A copy of your driving license if you have one.(Some families require someone who can drive.)
- A copy of your passport ( Passport needs to be valid for six months beyond your departure date from Australia)
- Three personal references from former employers or non-relatives.
- A cover letter and photos from you to prospective families. (Make sure it is as fun and enjoyable to read as possible, describing yourself, your family, hobbies and all about you….!)
- First Aid Certificate- Best done in home country in your own language to gain maximum understanding. It is possible to do a short course on arrival in Australia through St Johns Ambulance www.stjohnambulance.com.au
- Any certificates you may hold. For example; Childcare, Swimming/Life-saving.
- Must be at Intermediate level of English or above and apply three months prior to course start date
Milner College Perth WA.
All our Demi Pairs attend school at Milner College in Perth Western Australia. Milner was established in 1984 and has a high reputation for their excellent teaching standards. They are located in Central Perth. Milner College can also assist you with a homestay arrangement. This is when a student may decide to stay in a homestay before entering the Demi Pair Programme to adjust to Australia, the school, and meet your family. Have a look at the testimonial video made by two of our Demi Pairs! (Video link here) You can also visit the Milner College website at www.milner.wa.edu.au
See the testimonial video made with two of our Demi Pairs!
Demi Pair Placement Fee
You will be charged a placement fee of A$450 on acceptance of a placement with a family.
*Please note; in the event of needing to be relocated to a different family (subject to availability) there is a fee of $150, you may have to fund your own accommodation costs until a replacement family has been arranged.
On arrival to Australia
We will book you into our orientation where we will assist you with the following;
Welcome to Australia, what we expect as an placement coordinator
- Training manual to help you in your new venture including activities, placement coordinator guidelines, tips and advice.
- Copy of Drive safe WA (For Demi Pairs who will be driving)
- $50 travel voucher from Travel forever (who also arrange regular tours with our Au pairs and Demi Pairs
- First aid for kids dvd viewing and discussion
- Assist you with your application for an Australian tax file number
- Completing the forms together for the Working with children check which is compulsory to be a Demi pair in Australia. (Cost $80 your responsibility)
- Being on hand to answer any last minute questions or concerns
- Contact details of other Au Pairs/Demi Pairs, (The Orientations have been very successful in establishing friendships early on with other Au pairs and Demi Pairs.
It is the responsibility of the Demi Pair to arrange and pay for any travel and visa costs to and from Australia, and also to cover their own travel and medical insurance costs.
We look forward to helping you achieve your dream of being an Demi Pair.